HeCares4u.com
News: For unto us a child is born, a son is given ...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Oct 20 2019 07:17:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

BibleGateway  HeCares4u.com    
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dead Sea Scrolls in English, Well nearly English III!  (Read 7871 times)
olivet
20k Millenial Member

Blessing: 911

Awards:

Pond Princess

« Reply #20 on: Oct 20 2015 06:04:11 AM »

Colin

angel angel angel hearts VD :hearts11:beautiful story yes

Maranatha
Ruth Ann
Global Moderator

Blessing: 1140

Awards:

« Reply #21 on: Oct 20 2015 05:13:45 PM »

Schisms, and heretical sects plagued the early church, Saint John was asked by the bishops of Asia-minor to compose his gospel to rebuke the heresy being spread by some Jews and gentiles.  Love the Gospel of John it speaks in the Two ways found in Qumran, very possible the calendar system was Enochen.   Got a wonder who he was rebuking? Essene converts? Ebonites?

Heresy and warning of it are all throughout the New Testament. Paul constantly warns the church on this. From the history there were such diverse beliefs even about Jesus! Those who thought he was spirit. Those who thought he was only human.
I'm not real knowlegeable about these beliefs but know they existed.

Peg, who were the Essenes and Ebonites?

I want to live my life so that every morning
when I wake up Satan says, Oh, no! Shes awake!
Ruth Ann
Global Moderator

Awards:

« Reply #22 on: Oct 20 2015 05:19:55 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, the Maccabees are books of pure history?

pegasusphm1
3k Millenial Member

Blessing: 452

Awards:

« Reply #23 on: Oct 21 2015 12:13:22 AM »

Hi Peg. and All,

I have deliberately put this thread into Keifers Corner so that the stranger at our gates can have easy access to it as well as fellow travellers in Christ and not the presence of evil,  secular evil???....?

So Calendars, as the frame work of this Thread of thought perhaps for starters???....?

Yours All in His wonderful Name the Name of Jesus Christ Our LORD,

Colin2000.

Calendars will be perfect, will provide general understanding their liturgy and theology is based upon.
Keep a copy of 1 Enoch and Book of Jubilees.  I will type up some authors notes from the translation who explains aspects of this. Also list the calendars for those who need them online.

Follow the way of the Nazarene (MIN)
pegasusphm1
3k Millenial Member

Awards:

« Reply #24 on: Oct 21 2015 12:25:36 AM »

Schisms, and heretical sects plagued the early church, Saint John was asked by the bishops of Asia-minor to compose his gospel to rebuke the heresy being spread by some Jews and gentiles.  Love the Gospel of John it speaks in the Two ways found in Qumran, very possible the calendar system was Enochen.   Got a wonder who he was rebuking? Essene converts? Ebonites?

Heresy and warning of it are all throughout the New Testament. Paul constantly warns the c
hurch on this. From the history there were such diverse beliefs even about Jesus! Those who thought he was spirit. Those who thought he was only human.
I'm not real knowlegeable about these beliefs but know they existed.

Peg, who were the Essenes and Ebonites?

Essenes are the authors of the Dead Sea Scrolls, a group of Zadokite Priests forced out by the Sadducee (also Zadokites) at or shortly after the Maccabees revolt.  Their theology was Messianic and apocalyptic.  They used 1 Enoch, and other similar works as well. No Book of Esther.  There codexs on the Damascus covenant also found in Cairo 1925....   They lived in every city, Jesus and the upper room above the tomb of David was in the Essene quarter of Jerusalem... Nuff for now on the Essene no more spoils

nazarene ebionites  On in the same or two different groups.   A schism occurred within the church while in exile in Pella shortly after the first revolt. Don't know what happened....    The Ebionites held a edited version of Matthew, and rejected Paul.  Possible Essene converts had been among the Ebionites, they had been further west in Jordon, it is also speculated they had been the ones who influenced the Islamic Prophet.

For this discussion thread - Essene legacy ends at the first revolt.   What commonly shared with the nazarenes is preserved today in Christianity, but approached differently in many cases.

pegasusphm1
3k Millenial Member

Awards:

« Reply #25 on: Oct 21 2015 12:28:48 AM »

If I'm not mistaken, the Maccabees are books of pure history?

Mostly, also written from the perspective of the victor.  Unique passages such as treaties with Sparta, Romans, and Ark of the Covenant are important geopolitical stuff.   Also provides info to internal struggles. 

olivet
20k Millenial Member

Awards:

Pond Princess

« Reply #26 on: Oct 21 2015 02:38:16 AM »

It wasn't until Jerome that the acceptable books were adopted in the canon of the first bible.  Until that time, different churches had different books which were being handed around and no doubt this contributed to the confusion and fostered some heretical beliefs.

Maranatha
Colin2000
4k Millenial Member

Blessing: 216

« Reply #27 on: Oct 31 2015 07:20:05 AM »

Hi All,

Added to this last comment from Olivet, 

There is the Protestant Bible where the canon was limited to sixty-six books.  The Old Testament being that of the Jewish Bible putting certain books and parts of books which were in Greek outside of that Protestant list of Old Testament Books which of course effects in small part the reason for those books to be included in Catholic and I believe some parts of Orthodox Bibles.

Have been unable to carryon reading source books connected to Qumran just at present but just about ready to start the read again.

Anybody else care to comment in the mean time???....?

Yours in His Name, The name of Jesus,

Colin2000.

"Jesus is Lord!"

The LORD, Isaiah, Isaiah.1:18 ESV.

Jesus, John, John 3:3 ESV.

Jesus, John, John 3:16-18 ESV.

The LORD, Isaiah, Isaiah 55:12 KJV.

Blessed are you when people hate you... Jesus, Luke 6:22-23 ESV.
olivet
20k Millenial Member

Awards:

Pond Princess

« Reply #28 on: Oct 31 2015 09:50:19 AM »

Colin

I am refering to the first NT OT canon some 300 years after Jesus died. There was no set canon at all,some books were being read that were never included never accepted by the church.

Maranatha
Colin2000
4k Millenial Member

« Reply #29 on: Oct 31 2015 10:20:44 AM »

Hi Olivet,

Part correct but my Old Testament in Hebrew was accepted first by Judaism and then later by Christianity.

Dates not sure about just now.  We have the Old Testament in Hebrew in our Protestant Bible but curious that Jesus' quotations from the Old Testament are actually from The Greek Septuagint rather than the Hebrew, interesting don't you think!!!....!

Yours All, in His Name,

Colin2000.

"Jesus is Lord!"

olivet
20k Millenial Member

Awards:

Pond Princess

« Reply #30 on: Oct 31 2015 10:30:49 AM »

Colin

For 300 plus years the Church was reading books that never made it into the Bible canon compiled by Jerome.

The OT was compiled and translated from the Septuagint thumbsup

The international language at that time was Greek, Hebrew had fallen from use

Maranatha
Colin2000
4k Millenial Member

« Reply #31 on: Oct 31 2015 01:10:46 PM »

Colin

For 300 plus years the Church was reading books that never made it into the Bible canon compiled by Jerome.

The OT was compiled and translated from the Septuagint thumbsup

The international language at that time was Greek, Hebrew had fallen from use

Not quite I fear for we Christians did not own the Old Testament The Jews owned it in Hebrew. The Hebrew Old Testament was the Bible until A United Council of Christians came to an agreement that the New Testament, also  collection of books, were to form the New Testament without the others not included.  Yet I repeat here that Jesus used the Greek rather than the Hebrew Collection.  This does not mean of course that He didn't know the Hebrew or could not read it after all He is God and when a man sat down and wrote part of it there was Jesus sitting beside Him guiding His hand, He wrote it you know!!!....!

Yours in His Name,

Colin2000.

PS.  Of course He could have waited two thousand years and then He could have written it in English and saved all the fuss???....?

"Jesus is Lord!"

olivet
20k Millenial Member

Awards:

Pond Princess

« Reply #32 on: Oct 31 2015 09:44:47 PM »

Colin

Jesus is concealed in the OT and Revealed in the NT Jesus

The Jews wrote both Testaments

Jesus, Mary, Joseph, John the Baptist, the Apostles, St Paul and more were all Jews

Maranatha
Colin2000
4k Millenial Member

« Reply #33 on: Nov 03 2015 07:02:12 AM »

But what kind of Jew were they Olivet,

Old Testament is written by Jewish Jew's, New Testament are written by Christian Jew's.  All were under the Hand of The Christian HolyGhost!!!....!

Now did He, Jesus, speak Hebrew, Greek or English.  Then of course there is always Latin if you are Catholic???....?

Who do we trust, Jesus or a Pharisee, or just possible a Christian Pharisee,

Colin2000.

"Jesus is Lord!"

olivet
20k Millenial Member

Awards:

Pond Princess

« Reply #34 on: Nov 03 2015 05:17:31 PM »

Colin

A Jew is always a jew,the OT was inspired by the Ruach HaKodesh, God breathed

The NT was inspired by the Ruach HaKodesh, God breathed

The difference in the NT was that the Jews had a special privilege to worship their God and not the Caesars, to follow Jesus would put them outside of the agreement, outside the Synagogue and without protection.  Judaism then without the worship was under the auspices of Rabbis.

Maranatha
Colin2000
4k Millenial Member

« Reply #35 on: Nov 04 2015 01:35:42 PM »

Hi Olivet,

What is the point you are trying to make I wonder.

I was talking about who authorised the Old Testament and who authorised the new Testament???....?

I was given to understand the answer lies in the Inspired Word of God and a general Council of The Christian Church.

Jewishness does not really come into this,  The Jew has his Bible and the Christian has his also,

Yours in His Grace,

Colin2000.

"Jesus is Lord!"

Colin2000
4k Millenial Member

« Reply #36 on: Nov 08 2015 05:07:29 AM »

Hi All,

Apologies here to all, I was hoping to have a running commentary going on Our Old Testament and Qumran Scrolls.

I for one has been side tracked with other books and Church commitments.

Will try to give Scrolls a greater commitment now perhaps,  it would be helpful if there was a set of translations comparing Old Testament and Hebrew Bible???....?

Yours in His Name and a question I find I am asking myself at this delay in moving on here, "I wonder whether Jesus Christ had accesses to the Scrolls???....?"

Colin2000.

"Jesus is Lord!"

Ruth Ann
Global Moderator

Awards:

« Reply #37 on: Nov 08 2015 09:19:17 PM »

Colin, I'm trying to take the time to read this string of posts!

I have that same book on my computer Bible library so I want to read the intro as well. My time is a problem!

Colin2000
4k Millenial Member

« Reply #38 on: Nov 08 2015 09:57:15 PM »

Hi Ruth,

The Intro. here is I think very important in it's own right, not to skip it if possible, long though it might be, and I have put this into the thread today to help to keep the thread alive while I and it seems you too give time on that intro. in case  Peg. is looking out for some progress here.

Yours in His Everlovingtenderkindness,

Colin2000. 

"Jesus is Lord!"

Colin2000
4k Millenial Member

« Reply #39 on: Nov 09 2015 06:31:29 AM »

Hi All,

"Reading the Dead Sea Scrolls???....?"

"Essentially, that is what you will be reading in the following pages: translations of transcriptions that we have prepared for each Dead Sea Scroll in the book.  Translation is the last step in an intricate and frequently uncertain process of reconstruction."   And so forth!!!......................!  And so on and so forth!!!....!  Page43.

So here is the first step and on Page 44 and 45 we have a thumb nail plan on how and what things mean in the question of "How to Read This Book.!"

And since there are six hundred and sixty-two pages in this book, "A New Translation The Dead Sea Scrolls!" one of my first conclusions is that we are back to Bible Structure here, this being The Bible: "A collection of Books!"  This Book by Wise, Abegg Jr., and Cook:  Another Collection of Books to interpret the first collection of books The Old Testament for the want of a better name.

So what are your comments friends and everybody on this collection of Books in this book if we sing/study it in the round perhaps???....?

Yours in His Name, that of Jesus Christ for that is where I am coming from anyway,

Colin2000.

"Jesus is Lord!"

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: